For many researchers, social media data (both user- and system-generated) is a rich source of behavioral data that can reveal how we communicate and interact with each other online and what that might mean for our society as we continue to speed towards an increasingly computer-mediated future.
Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
Social Media Data Stewardship (SMDS) is a set of data- and user-driven principles to guide all aspects of managing social media data including its collection, storage, analysis, publication, reuse, sharing and preservation.
What are the API rate limits for data collection set by social media platforms?
Can and for how long social media data be stored outside social media platforms?
Are there any types of analysis or data transformation processes that are not permitted by the social media platforms?
Can researchers publish data they used for the analysis? For example, as part of a journal publication?
Can researchers share data they have collected with other researchers?
Should the records collected previously be deleted if they are also deleted by their creator?
- The State of Social Media in Canada 2017: New ReportFebruary 26, 2018Survey reveals the state of social media in Canada and finds 94% of adult Canadian internet users have at least one social media account. Despite concerns fake news is flooding the Internet, Canadians’ love affair with social media shows no […]
- Impact Model for Ethics: Notes from a talk by Annette MarkhamNovember 18, 2017Impact Model for Ethics: Notes from a talk by Annette Markham *Reposted blog from Annette Markham’s website This blog contains notes from a talk I gave on June 27, 2017, at Ryerson University as part of a pre-conference workshop on Data […]
- 2017 Social Media Data Stewardship Specialist Meeting: RecapOctober 17, 2017The 2017 Specialist Meeting on Social Media Data Stewardship brought together 30 experts in social media research to discuss methods, ethics, and policies specifically related to managing social media data by industry, researchers and data […]
- How much is your personal data really worth?September 12, 2017Check out a recent story on social media data and its estimated worth published by Vice, featuring comments from Dr. Gruzd: “It’s very difficult to calculate an exact dollar number,” says Anatoliy Gruzd, Canada Research Chair in Social Media Data […]
- [New Paper] You’re Hired: Examining Acceptance Of Social Media Screening Of Job ApplicantsSeptember 11, 2017Gruzd, A., Jacobson, J., & Dubois, E. (2017). You’re Hired: Examining Acceptance of Social Media Screening of Job Applicants. In Proceedings of the 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, August 10-12, 2017, Boston, MA, USA. […]