For many researchers, social media data (both user- and system-generated) is a rich source of behavioral data that can reveal how we communicate and interact with each other online and what that might mean for our society as we continue to speed towards an increasingly computer-mediated future.
Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
Social Media Data Stewardship (SMDS) is a set of data- and user-driven principles to guide all aspects of managing social media data including its collection, storage, analysis, publication, reuse, sharing and preservation.
What are the API rate limits for data collection set by social media platforms?
Can and for how long social media data be stored outside social media platforms?
Are there any types of analysis or data transformation processes that are not permitted by the social media platforms?
Can researchers publish data they used for the analysis? For example, as part of a journal publication?
Can researchers share data they have collected with other researchers?
Should the records collected previously be deleted if they are also deleted by their creator?
- Journalists’ Use of Social Media to Infer Public Opinion: The Citizens’ Perspective [New Study]August 17, 2018For journalists, social media is now a must-have journalistic resource. They rely on it to keep a pulse on their community, suss out sources, and connect to their audience. In a 2017 study by Cision (n=1,550 North American journalists and […]
- Canadians were self-censoring social media posts even before Cambridge Analytica scandal: StudyJuly 12, 2018Download the report 50% of online Canadian adults choose to censor social media posts to avoid companies using data for advertising, says new report TORONTO — Even before the Cambridge Analytica scandal, social media users in Canada were […]
- Facebook Shuts the Gate after the Horse Has Bolted, and Hurts Real Research in the ProcessApril 28, 2018A public response from leading members of the Internet research community. In reaction to the Cambridge Analytica controversy, Facebook has recently announced a substantial tightening of access restrictions to the Application Programming Interfaces […]
- Portage & Research Data Management in CanadaApril 20, 2018At an event hosted by Portage, stakeholders engage in a discussion to establish best practices and policies around research data management and stewardship across the country. Watch the panel online Panel: Murtaza Haider, Professor at the Ted Rogers […]
- The State of Social Media in Canada 2017: New ReportFebruary 26, 2018Survey reveals the state of social media in Canada and finds 94% of adult Canadian internet users have at least one social media account. Despite concerns fake news is flooding the Internet, Canadians’ love affair with social media shows no […]