For many researchers, social media data (both user- and system-generated) is a rich source of behavioral data that can reveal how we communicate and interact with each other online and what that might mean for our society as we continue to speed towards an increasingly computer-mediated future.
Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
What are the API rate limits for data collection set by social media platforms?
Can and for how long social media data be stored outside social media platforms?
Are there any types of analysis or data transformation processes that are not permitted by the social media platforms?
Can researchers publish data they used for the analysis? For example, as part of a journal publication?
Can researchers share data they have collected with other researchers?
Should the records collected previously be deleted if they are also deleted by their creator?
- How much is your personal data really worth?September 12, 2017Check out a recent story on social media data and its estimated worth published by Vice, featuring comments from Dr. Gruzd: “It’s very difficult to calculate an exact dollar number,” says Anatoliy Gruzd, Canada Research Chair in Social Media Data […]
- [New Paper] You’re Hired: Examining Acceptance Of Social Media Screening Of Job ApplicantsSeptember 11, 2017Gruzd, A., Jacobson, J., & Dubois, E. (2017). You’re Hired: Examining Acceptance of Social Media Screening of Job Applicants. In Proceedings of the 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, August 10-12, 2017, Boston, MA, USA. […]
- The Ethics of Social Media Data Use for ResearchJune 30, 2017On June 23, 2017, four members of our team (Anatoliy Gruzd, Jenna Jacobson, Priya Kumar, Philip Mai) organized a panel on “The Ethics of Social Media Data Use for Research” at the Data Power Conference at Carleton University in Ottawa. […]
- Sampling and Recruiting on FacebookMay 30, 2017“Sampling and Recruiting on Facebook” – A talk by members of our team, Dr. Anatoliy Gruzd & Jenna Jacobson at the Annual Conference of the Canadian Communication Association in Toronto, Canada (May 30, 2017). […]
- 2017 Specialist Meeting on Social Media Data StewardshipApril 3, 2017Date: July 27, 2017 9:00-4:30 p.m. Location: Ryerson University Student Learning Centre (SLC), Room 508 – 341 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M5B 1S1 IMPORTANT: SLC is redesigning the main entrance doors! There is construction on the main doors of the […]
- We are Hiring a Postdoctoral Researcher in Social Media Data Privacy & EthicsMarch 13, 2017The Ryerson University Social Media Lab at the Ted Rogers School of Management in Toronto, Canada is seeking a highly motivated and creative postdoctoral candidate to help conduct research in Social Media Data Privacy & Ethics. The broad aim of […]
- Challenges and Opportunities of Doing Research With Social Media DataApril 16, 2016Our team (Anatoliy Gruzd, Jenna Jacobson, and Elizabeth Dubois) recently hosted a workshop on Doing Research with Social Media Data at the 2016 iConference in Philadelphia. The primary purpose of the workshop was to bring together overlapping […]
- 2016 iConference on Hacking the Access, Storage and Preservation of Social Media DataMarch 4, 2016We are pleased to announce that our team is hosting a Session for Interaction & Engagement at the iConference 2016 in Philadelphia on “Hacking the Access, Storage and Preservation of Social Media Data”. If you are also attending the conference, […]