For many researchers, social media data (both user- and system-generated) is a rich source of behavioral data that can reveal how we communicate and interact with each other online and what that might mean for our society as we continue to speed towards an increasingly computer-mediated future.
Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
Social Media Data Stewardship (SMDS) is a set of data- and user-driven principles to guide all aspects of managing social media data including its collection, storage, analysis, publication, reuse, sharing and preservation.
- ICYMI: #SMSociety 2019 Keynote by Tarleton GillespieAugust 1, 2019“Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions That Shape Social Media” Content moderation can serve as a prism for examining what platforms are, and how they subtly torque public life. Our […]
- ICYMI: #SMSociety 2019 Keynote by Valerie SteevesAugust 1, 2019“Not So Social, Not So Networked: Teens’ Perspectives of Privacy and Trust on Social Media” In the past two years, The eQuality Project has conducted a series of research projects exploring how teens use social media in their daily […]
- Social media marketing: Who is watching the watchers? [New Study]June 5, 2019Jacobson, Gruzd & Hernandez-Garcia. (2019). Social media marketing: Who is watching the watchers? Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. [Download an open access pre-print copy] Just because social media data is “public” does not […]
- Study: Majority of social media users in Canada avoid talking politics online for fear it might upset another personDecember 12, 201858% of online Canadian adults say they choose not to post a political comment or link on social media because it might upset or offend another person, according to a new report Download the Free Report Here TORONTO, ON — Conventional wisdom […]
- Rethinking Privacy and Trust in the Social Media Age — #SMSociety #CFP Toronto, Canada July 19–21, 2019October 3, 2018INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SOCIETY Toronto, Canada (JULY 19–21, 2019) The International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety) is an annual gathering of leading social media researchers from around the world. Now, in […]