Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
Social Media Data Stewardship (SMDS) is a set of data- and user-driven principles to guide all aspects of managing social media data including its collection, storage, analysis, publication, reuse, sharing and preservation.
What are the API rate limits for data collection set by social media platforms?
Can and for how long social media data be stored outside social media platforms?
Are there any types of analysis or data transformation processes that are not permitted by the social media platforms?
Can researchers publish data they used for the analysis? For example, as part of a journal publication?
Can researchers share data they have collected with other researchers?
Should the records collected previously be deleted if they are also deleted by their creator?
- Social Media Privacy in Canada 2020 [Report]November 19, 2020As the second wave of coronavirus continues to surge in Canada, more people are turning to social media to stay connected. This increased reliance on social media has raised renewed privacy-related questions and concerns about digital trace data […]
- Canada’s out-of-date online privacy rules aren’t protecting youJuly 26, 2020Canada’s out-of-date online privacy rules aren’t protecting you The regulation of user privacy must consider potential future applications of any collected data. (Shutterstock) Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University With so many of us stuck […]
- Companies are increasingly turning to social media to screen potential employeesJuly 10, 2020Companies are increasingly turning to social media to screen potential employees Users’ online activities can be reviewed by potential employers as a way to pre-screen job candidates. (Shutterstock) Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University; Jenna […]
- ICYMI: #SMSociety 2019 Keynote by Tarleton GillespieAugust 1, 2019“Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions That Shape Social Media” Content moderation can serve as a prism for examining what platforms are, and how they subtly torque public life. Our […]
- ICYMI: #SMSociety 2019 Keynote by Valerie SteevesAugust 1, 2019“Not So Social, Not So Networked: Teens’ Perspectives of Privacy and Trust on Social Media” In the past two years, The eQuality Project has conducted a series of research projects exploring how teens use social media in their daily […]