For many researchers, social media data (both user- and system-generated) is a rich source of behavioral data that can reveal how we communicate and interact with each other online and what that might mean for our society as we continue to speed towards an increasingly computer-mediated future.
Social Media Data + Data Stewardship = Social Media Data Stewardship
Social Media Data Stewardship (SMDS) is a set of data- and user-driven principles to guide all aspects of managing social media data including its collection, storage, analysis, publication, reuse, sharing and preservation.
- Study: Majority of social media users in Canada avoid talking politics online for fear it might upset another personDecember 12, 201858% of online Canadian adults say they choose not to post a political comment or link on social media because it might upset or offend another person, according to a new report Download the Free Report Here TORONTO, ON — Conventional wisdom […]
- Rethinking Privacy and Trust in the Social Media Age — #SMSociety #CFP Toronto, Canada July 19–21, 2019October 3, 2018INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SOCIETY Toronto, Canada (JULY 19–21, 2019) The International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety) is an annual gathering of leading social media researchers from around the world. Now, in […]
- Unpacking the Privacy Paradox: Users demand privacy yet continue to share, why?October 3, 2018It’s getting more and more difficult to make a case for privacy when so many people are willingly sharing so much of their personal information online. Self-disclosure is now currency and digital exhibitionism is a normalized behavior, rewarded and […]
- Journalists’ Use of Social Media to Infer Public Opinion: The Citizens’ Perspective [New Study]August 17, 2018For journalists, social media is now a must-have journalistic resource. They rely on it to keep a pulse on their community, suss out sources, and connect to their audience. In a 2017 study by Cision (n=1,550 North American journalists and […]
- Study: Canadians were self-censoring social media posts even before Cambridge Analytica scandalJuly 12, 2018Download the report 50% of online Canadian adults choose to censor social media posts to avoid companies using data for advertising, says new report TORONTO — Even before the Cambridge Analytica scandal, social media users in Canada were […]